Subject: XFree86 3.9.1.6 on i386 -current
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/29/1999 21:56:00
I now have XFree86's latest pre-4.0 snapshot (3.9.1.6) installed
on my IBM 600.  It works fine, although only when "Option no_accel"
is set in /etc/X11/XF86Config's Device section.

I get 24-bit 1024x768 working OK.  Text scrolling is slow, but
text scrolling was the problem when HW acceleration was on.
(Symptom: cat the "script" output of "startx" to an xterm, and
then hit return a few times.  Alternatively, run less(1) on
any large file and attempt to page backward with 'b' or 'u').

xf86config is a bit persnickety about NeoMagic cards; I had to
bolt on some of the pre-existing /etc/XF86Config made via xf86setup
under XFree86 3.3.5 installation from -current's xsrc, grabbed via sup.

The GLX extension makes pkgsrc/games/battalion MUCH MUCH MUCH faster,
even without HW acceleration.

I now intend to play with my desktop system, which has an mga adaptor. :)

	Sean.