Subject: Re: ahc attaches UW disk with 10MHz only?
To: NetBSD/i386 Discussion List <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@Melog.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/28/1999 10:29:37
At 01:39 28.09.99 -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

>Those drives are fast&wide ultra scsi-3 drives and are reported as 20MHz
>under FreeBSD-3.0 (and benchmark much faster on FreeBSD too!).
>
>If I recall correctly I even hard-coded the "SCSI BIOS probes" at 40MHz
>and still the NetBSD driver responded no differently.
>
>As I recall from trying to resolve differences between the NetBSD AHC
>driver and the much newer and FreeBSD driver (CAM), the older drivers
>were simply doing the wrong things (and sometimes even just reporting
>the wrong things about what they did).  Fixing the older drivers does
>seem to be much harder even than porting the CAM framework....

So we're back to the issue that nobody in the NetBSD community maintains
the SCSI sub-system in any way comparable to how, say, the LFS or the USB
or the VM code is maintained. I am currently looking at the SCSI tape
driver because of QIC drive problems, and the claims of superior NetBSD
code quality ring badly in my ears.

When are we switching to CAM?

         hauke

--
Hauke Fath                              Saphir Software GmbH
                                         D-69115 Heidelberg