Subject: Re: Compiling/Configuring Nethack-3.2.2
To: April G Gruhn <gudongfe@pilot.msu.edu>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/28/1999 15:55:45
"April G Gruhn" wrote:

> I hav just compiled Nethack-3.2.2 for X11. I can get the game to run,
> but I get the following errors spuriously:
>
> cannot allocat colormap entry for "pale green"
> cannot allocate colormap entry for "brown"
> cannto ...                         "light cyan"
> cannot ...                         "orange"
> cannot ...                         "royal blue"
> cannot ...                         "violet"
>
> Is there a problem with configuration/compilation, or am I missing a
> color file, or what???

Are you using another X program that uses lots of colors (netscape is a
good example)?  You're being told that nethack can't allocate any more
colors because the X server has run out of colormap entries.  Try either
shutting down some of your other X clients or running nethack as soon as
you start X/log in.

Simon.