Subject: Re: 1.4.1 is elf correct ?
To: Tony Hernandez <tony.hernandez@intellon.com>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/24/1999 11:57:45
On Fri, Sep 24, 1999 at 02:40:31PM -0400, Tony Hernandez wrote:
> Ohh , ok I see. I remember some talk about ELF on the list I was not sure if
> 1.4.1 was ELF or not. So in effect will all the packages have to be
> recompiled to ELF format ? Or moreover will we not be able to use < 1.5
> binaries anymore ?

It is recommended to recompile binaries for ELF, but not strictly necessary.
You can run a.out binaries in emulation mode on an ELF system, as long
as you have a.out shared libs (and ld.so)  in /emul/aout/usr/lib, and
a kernel compiled with a.out support.  (I'm doing that on this system)

Look through the mailing list archives for suggestions how to set this
up if you need it.

+j

--
Jeff Rizzo                                         http://boogers.sf.ca.us/~riz