Subject: Re: "no operating system" after swapping SCSI controllers.
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/21/1999 17:42:47
On Wed, Sep 22, 1999 at 12:48:40AM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I replaced an NCR SCSI controller in an 1.3.3 i386 box with an Adaptec
> 1542B, and now I get the magic "no operating system" message.  1.3.3 was
> installed by sysinst, and the netbsd partition starts at the 63rd sector
> (there no other O/Ss involved).
>
> Using fdisk off a 1.4.1 install floppy, I'm told that the NetBSD
> geometry is 173c/48h/495s and the BIOS geometry is 4077c/16h/63s.  The

Adaptec board uses generally geometries of the form xxxc/16h/32s
or xxxc/255h/63s (depending on wenever they are in 'large disk' mode or not).
Try to set one of these geometry for the BIOS geomery with fdisk -u
(also, in fdisk -u, you have to tell you want to change infos about your
NetBSD partition: even if you don't touch type, start and size, it will
recompute the c/h/s of start and end, this is *mandatory* to get a bootable
disk when you change the BIOS geometry).