Subject: Re: Install problems
To: None <fb@enteract.com>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/18/1999 00:27:42
> I don't know that that works, but I know you can install sets from a
> _mounted_ dos file-system. To do that, first choose utility->shell
> (*not* "Exit to shell"). See if "disklabel wd0" tells you which letter
> has the win95 partition, probably 'e'. Then "mkdir /w; mount -tmsdos
> /dev/wd0e /w", then "exit", and you will be back at the installer.

Be careful here! For now, only do this with "primary" DOS partitions.
"Extended" DOS partitions (usually all of them after the first) have a
set of boot blocks at the front which netbsd does not currently grok.
The scary thing is that you can still mount (and appear to use) msdosfs
on the partition, in spite of the fact that the starting block is off
by 63 or something.

I managed to trash my D: while prepping my beefy PC to go from 1.3.2 to
1.4.1 because of this. Something was preventing my 1.3.2 MBR from being
recognized by 1.4.1, and it was synthesizing the disklabel, so when I
manually mounted D: to transfer an ISO image to it, things were not happy
and my win95 CD-writer stuff refused to deal with the file.

I verified this hypothesis by comparing the partition locations as seen by
1.3.2 versus the ones synthesized by 1.4.1. After I rewrote the MBRs with
1.4.1 and double-checked the partition entries, everything worked again.

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com