Subject: Install problems
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Cline <Cline@d2tech.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/16/1999 09:54:13
Hi, everyone.  I've been trying to install netBSD for a few weeks
now with only moderate success.  Here are the two problems I'm
currently facing (though thanks to Manuel Bouyer for getting me
this far!):

1.  I'm installing from behind a Novell BorderManager firewall.
I can not get ping to work in the network setup, so I'm stuck.
The network admin does not have much experience in this area..
I have a static IP addr (10.1.1.40), the nameserver/gateway
IP addr (10.1.1.2), and the subnetmask (0xff ff ff 00).  Entering
these parameters during install results in 100% packet loss.

2.  Since I'm faced with #1, I decided to ftp the install set to my
win95 partition & install via 'unmounted fs'.  However, I can't get
sysinst to find the files.  It asks:
  Device [sd0]
  Filesystem [ffs]
  Directory []

My only drive is wd0, which I specify.  I've tried many variants=20
on fat16, fat, msdos, etc for Filesystem-- no go.  The directory
I specify as "/1netbsd" since I saved the packages to c:\1netbsd. =20
(A tip to the sysinst maintainer: showing some examples would=20
work wonders here.)

What file(s) is sysinst looking for, anyway?  I fetched *.tgz,=20
and I assume it is looking for base.tgz and not finding it.

Thankfully I know that installing is the hardest part of dealing
with *ix. Help please!