Subject: Re: XFree86 & GLX support?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 22:34:52
> > (sigh)  I pasted the above lines into my /etc/XF86Config file, then
> > exited/restarted X, and I still get:
> >
> > GLUT: Fatal Error in project1: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by
> > display: rkr.kcnet.com:0.0
>
> You should see in the output of startx. (startx >& x.out perhaps)
> GlxExtensionInit
> RIVA GLX Version = 1.0  <- this is specific to my machine

The startx stuff scrolls a LOT of text by, quite quickly.  I suppose that
I could be clever and direct its output to a file, though...

> > there be a so-named file somewhere on my file system, in order for this to
> > work?  Or is the .so ``file'' internal somewhere?)
>
> Yes, /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/glx.so.  I may be confused, but AFAIK the
> glx extension can be built for _software_ rendering, you should not need
> a supported video card.
>
> You need to build the glx.so yourself, from sources available at:
> http://reality.sgi.com/ripperda_engr/glx/

Oh, the sources are there?  It looked like just a bunch of news &
hardware-specific drivers.  I'll have to have another look.  (^&

> Note that it may be easier to build the CVS version of GLX and Mesa
> as the latest release is for Mesa 2.5 (NetBSD pkgsrc has Mesa 3.0)

The above URL says that the current Ripperda GLX runs with ``Mesa 3.x''.

Are you recommending that I grab the most recent (release) sources of X
and Mesa for NetBSD?

> > Is there any way to get an XFree86 X driver to report the extensions that
 [...]
> Just the output of startx I think.

/usr/X11/bin/xdpyinfo, as Soren points out, provides this info.  (In fact,
it provides what I remembered seeing, but I was unable to remember the
program that I needed to use.)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com