Subject: Re: XFree86 & GLX support?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 23:07:36
Richard Rauch writes:

> (sigh)  I pasted the above lines into my /etc/XF86Config file, then
> exited/restarted X, and I still get:
>
> GLUT: Fatal Error in project1: OpenGL GLX extension not supported by
> display: rkr.kcnet.com:0.0

You should see in the output of startx. (startx >& x.out perhaps)
GlxExtensionInit
RIVA GLX Version = 1.0  <- this is specific to my machine

> there be a so-named file somewhere on my file system, in order for this to
> work?  Or is the .so ``file'' internal somewhere?)

Yes, /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/glx.so.  I may be confused, but AFAIK the
glx extension can be built for _software_ rendering, you should not need
a supported video card.

You need to build the glx.so yourself, from sources available at:
http://reality.sgi.com/ripperda_engr/glx/

Note that it may be easier to build the CVS version of GLX and Mesa
as the latest release is for Mesa 2.5 (NetBSD pkgsrc has Mesa 3.0)

> Is there any way to get an XFree86 X driver to report the extensions that
> it supports (and which it has enabled)?  I was poking around
> /usr/X11/bin/*, but couldn't find any programs that seemed to provide such
> information.

Just the output of startx I think.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.