Subject: Re: XFree86 & GLX support?
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 20:54:07
> I have at the end of my /etc/XF86Config:
> Section "Module"
>    Load "glx.so"
> EndSection

Ah!  Thanks, I will try that.

> > Do I need to lay my hands on the sources, twiddle some options, and
> > rebuild the X server?  Or can someone tell me how I should properly
> > configure/start the X server so that I can do this?
>
> What video card to you have?  Hardware GL is so much nicer.. :)

STB Nitro3D S3 ViRGE/GX or some such.  It supposedly is a fairly nice
card, but it was pre-installed in the machine, which itself is getting
close to 2 years old.  (^&  (It does have some 3D features, as the name
implies, and is among those cards supported by XF86_S3V.  But I don't
think that anyone's done any clever 3D support for it under X/Mesa.)

Question: Why does Mesa work well without GLX, while OpenGL has a fit?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com