Subject: Re: XFree86 & GLX support?
To: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 21:42:43
Richard Rauch writes:
> Is GLX compiled into XFree86 by default?  I assume that it is, but can't
> see any clear indication one way or the other.  If it is compiled in, then
> how do I enable it?  I've tried ``startx -- -bpp 24 -x GLX -x glx -x Glx
> -x GLx'' as a command line, hoping that ONE of those GLX variants will
> catch it, but none seem to have done so.

I have at the end of my /etc/XF86Config:
Section "Module"
   Load "glx.so"
EndSection

This particular glx.so has hardware support for Nvidia chipsets.  I'm
sure the software version would load the same way.  If you are using the
SGI client libaries, that _should_ be all it takes.

> Do I need to lay my hands on the sources, twiddle some options, and
> rebuild the X server?  Or can someone tell me how I should properly
> configure/start the X server so that I can do this?

What video card to you have?  Hardware GL is so much nicer.. :)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.