Subject: XFree86 & GLX support?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rkr@rkr.kcnet.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 20:19:38
Is GLX compiled into XFree86 by default?  I assume that it is, but can't
see any clear indication one way or the other.  If it is compiled in, then
how do I enable it?  I've tried ``startx -- -bpp 24 -x GLX -x glx -x Glx
-x GLx'' as a command line, hoping that ONE of those GLX variants will
catch it, but none seem to have done so.

Since startx drops arguments after -- to xinit, and xinit likewise uses --
to drop to the X server, I have tried at least one variation of ``startx
-- -bpp 24 -- -x Glx''...but haven't tried all variations of
capitalization there.

The docs aren't clear about it for XFree86, but if you type ``X -h'' (or
``strings /usr/X11/bin/X | grep -i extension''), you turn up the ``-x''
option, and similarly with strings|grep can find a couple of symbols for
GLX.

(I am taking a computer graphics class, and would like to be able to do
everything from home---some 30 miles away from the computer graphics lab.
However, it is vital that the finished programs run correctly on the
SGI's.  I can develop/debug with Mesa, and at least get the SGI machines
to compile my code, but the SGI's claim that my server does not support
GLX.  The only machines that I have access to which the SGI's deign to
talk to, are the SGI's themselves.  Mesa runs _fine_ on NetBSD, and
likewise in university labs, Mesa binaries running on my home machine
display nicely on LINUX boxes.  But the SGI O2's won't cooperate.)

Do I need to lay my hands on the sources, twiddle some options, and
rebuild the X server?  Or can someone tell me how I should properly
configure/start the X server so that I can do this?

(For reference: I boot my machine to the text console and run startx
manually.  I would rather keep it that way, if I can, since that affords
me the liberty of changing X servers, or restarting X with a different
color depth.  Or, if it comes to it, I can just run in text mode...)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about."  --rkr@rkr.kcnet.com