Subject: Re: Upgrading via source
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/12/1999 02:15:35
> One other thing:

> What about config?  I seem to remember that it changes almost daily.
> Do I need to make it first?

Sometimes.  If the jump you're making is at all large, the old config
often won't work to build the new kernel.  Sometimes it will fail in
obvious ways (syntax errors in the kernel config are a common example);
other times it will fail in less obvious ways (at least once, I had it
build a kernel that failed to link because the old config didn't output
some data structure the new kernel needed).

I don't think it ever hurts to reubild config before building the new
kernel, so if you're in doubt, do it. :-)

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca