Subject: Re: Heavy /dev/lpt use burdens system.
To: Lennart Augustsson <lennart@augustsson.net>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/10/1999 14:38:59
Lennart Augustsson writes:

> It seems that the printer driver causes an incredible number of interrupts
> per seconds, thousands of them.  Probably as many as your machine can
> handle.  You should try the interruptless driver, but what is really needed
> is for someone to fix the ltp driver, perhaps to use DMA.
>

> --
>
>         -- Lennart

Hey Lennart,

Great work (ok *awesome work*) on the USB stuff and sound support!
I've been meaning to say that for a while now.. :)  So my question
is, should I expect the 'ulpt' driver to work better than 'lpt' with
IEEE1284 printers & cables?  Currently I have a NEC SuperScript 870
connected to my SOYO SY6BA+, and it works great under Windows 98, but
the lpt driver is flaky under NetBSD.  Using the various minor
drivers (interruptless, no reset, etc) I can get something that more
or less works, _most_ of the time.

My hope is a USB lpt port my Just Work.  If so, I plan on buying a USB
hub with 2 serial, 1 parallel port.

Thanks for any insight!

-Andrew

Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.