Subject: reboot update
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Wenchi Liao <wliao@midway.uchicago.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/10/1999 10:50:40
Just an update on my 1.4.1 box that reboots during remote
dumps.

RECAP:
I tried several experiments with 1.4 and 1.4.1 kernels w/ and
w/o the rnd pseudo-device. Doing a "rsh ntbsd dump -0 -f-
..." from a remote machine to a netbsd box with 1.4 or 1.4.1
kernel will make the machine reboot if the apm device is
compiled in. This is true if the rnd is compiled in or not. The
kernel is based on GENERIC with scsi/pcmcia/kitchen sink
commented out.

Without the apm, doing a remote dump will trigger a reboot
sometimes. A regular backup schedule will eventually trigger a
reboot (every night or every other night...as opposed to every
night with apm).

File size or amount of data to be transferred may be an issue.
If the machine reboots, the backup log shows the reboot during a
dump of /usr or /opt (ie, /usr/pkg), but never /. The size of /,
/usr, /opt are 98M, 495M, 838M.

NEW:
I needed to run some stuff under console mode, and switching
between X and console with or without virtual terms just didn't
work (netbsd-help, subject: x color wierdness). So, I've been
running wscons only, no x, for about a week. No reboots at all.

The video card is a stealth 3d 2000 pro, and I've been using the
stock netbsd x with svga server.

Eventually, I do need to go back to x....

WL