Subject: Re: DPT support in NetBSD/i386?
To: Kenneth D. Merry <ken@kdm.org>
From: Andy Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/10/1999 11:03:03
On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Kenneth D. Merry wrote:

> I'm sure you already know that there was a driver for the DPT SmartRAID III
> and IV cards in FreeBSD 2.2.x.  The SCSI layer in 2.2.x was very similar to
> NetBSD's SCSI layer.  (they were based on the same code)  So the driver
> might be ported without too much effort.

The FreeBSD driver has always worked well for me on everything but old
EISA machines, but I'm not too fond of the code itself. That said, I am
using it and the BSDI driver as a reference.

> DPT has also written a driver for their I2O boards for FreeBSD 2.2.x (but
> not yet for CAM, unfortunately).  In any case, I would imagine that it too
> could be ported to NetBSD without too much difficulty.  If you want to get
> it, contact Mark Salyzyn <salyzyn_mark@dpt.com>.

I don't have a I2O board yet but thanks for the pointer. I haven't kept up
with I2O but from my memory of the Linux I2O driver that DPT provide I
have a nasty feeling there could be a restrictive license on the I2O bits.
I guess we will find out :).

- ad