Subject: Re: Linux emulation/acroread weirdness
To: None <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: bill@psych.uw.edu.pl <bill@psych.uw.edu.pl>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/09/1999 20:50:43
Jeff>> I've been noticing these for a few weeks, but have not yet expended
the
Jeff>> effort to track it down.  Incidentally (or not), at the same time I
made
Jeff>> the switch to ELF, I went to the suse_linux-6.1 package from the
older SuSE
Jeff>> package.

>This sounds fishy.  There are some linux binaries that just have to have
>a different set of X libraries, acroread is among them.  I think it's a
>libc5 vs. libc6 thing, and I don't know how real Linux systems handle
>it, but I just put wrappers around these binaries that set
>LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include libc5 stuff before everything else.

on my box acroread (at least 3.02) works with LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to
acroread libraries only, e.g.:
 LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/Acrobat3/Reader/intellinux/lib
and the "real" directory is /emul/linux/$LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
i'm using RedHat libraries because there's plenty of RH CD-ROMs
banded to the local PC-crap magazines.
and here is my `/emul/linux/etc/ld.so.conf':

/usr/lib
/usr/X11R6/lib
/usr/i486-linux-libc5/lib