Subject: Re: Gigabit Ethernet
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/08/1999 11:48:57
Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de> writes:
> But since we have the .._LINEAR option, may it be for
> framebuffers only, we should provide a method to make
> a pointer from a tag/handle pair. (Which should fail
> for handles obtained w/o .._LINEAR.)

yes.

> First cut:
> caddr_t bus_space_vaddr(bus_space_tag_t, bus_space_handle_t);
> NULL on error.

Comments:

* Any reason why this shouldn't be "void *" as the return type?  I
mean, caddr_t probably works just as well, but it's not obvious to me
why its use is _ever_ right any more.  8-)

* I suppose since it's linear that they can just add in their favorite
offset themselves, eh?  8-)

* when documenting this in bus_space(9), _PLEASE_ remind people of the
necessity of using bus_space_barrier()...

cgd