Subject: Re: Gigabit Ethernet
To: None <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/05/1999 16:00:06
Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de> writes:
> 1.3 NetBSD needs to include "opt_inet.h" and "opt.ns.h"

	opt_ns.h

> 2.4 bus.h: access to virtual address for mapped range
>     (BUS_SPACE_MAP_LINEAR should provide this)
>
>     [Missing in NetBSD's bus_space framework. Potential
>     source of inportability, use bus_space_xxx if feasible.]

better way of putting it: DO NOT use BUS_SPACE_MAP_LINEAR, unless you
have absolutely no other choice.

BUS_SPACE_MAP_LINEAR was introduced so that frame buffers could DTRT.
Other code can certainly use it, but shouldn't unless _absolutely_
necessary.  It's not portable.  (some systems simply cannot provide a
linear address mapping of device memory or I/O.  Further, you may run
into endianness issues that you wouldn't with bus_space_xxx.)

cgd