Subject: Re: Diskless systems
To: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/03/1999 22:58:54
Andrew Gillham wrote:

> Last I looked, sys/i386/stand/netboot couldn't create a ROM image,
> as it was too large.  Also, the 'netboot.sym' was not useable by
> installboot any longer, as it is missing some symbols that are checked
> for.
>
> I would really like to build working ROMs for several of my ethernet
> cards.  :)

While not quite perfect, I'm happily loading a NETBOOT.COM of a dos
floppy that then netboots the kernel.  This is good when the work people
have no idea my "Windows NT" peecee only runs NT once a week when I
have to use the silly electronic timesheet application, and runs NetBSD
(without a trace on the hard disk) all the rest of the time :-)

Simon.