Subject: wscons, boot failure, and ttyE0
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Refling <johnr@imageworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/1999 19:11:28
I installed 1.4.1 on my laptop, and when it boots from
the hard drive, there is no activity after probing lpt0.

So, I boot from the 1.4.1 boot floppy, with a fd0a:netbsd -as
and give it wd0a for the root device.

I then edited /etc/rc.conf so that configured=YES, and
wscons=YES.

I checked that /etc/ttys has appropriate entries for
ttyE0 and that it is turned on.

I also checked to make sure that /dev/ttyE0 and friends
are there and that /etc/wscons.cnf has reasonable entries.

When I exit single user mode, it says that /dev/ttyE0 is
not configured.  I never get any login: prompt, or any way
to log into the system.

Is the fact that I start the boot process with the floppy
fouling wscons up, or is there something else?

THANKS.