Subject: DOS filesystem wizards?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/1999 17:15:03
Is there anyone on this list who knows a lot about DOS filesystems?
I am trying to work out some disk sharing issues in general (with the
goal of creating a newfs_msdos that will deal with hard disks).  In
the process I want to make sure my assumptions about the MBR/BIOS
parameter block are correct and won't lead to disk corruption.

If this works, we will be able to format bootable DOS partitions under
NetBSD and then load files from any useful source.  That might make it
easier to handle the various geometry issues that arise with sharing
disks and prevent the need for M$ programs hacking on the critical
MBR/boot sectors.

I need someone to verify a few assumptions about the quantities in the
MBR and BIOS parameter block, though.

I could also use some pointers to source code for boot loaders (the
secondary stuff in the partition not in the primary MBR loader) that
meet the expections of M$ in terms of register setup, entry points,
etc.  Pointers to documentation on those expectations would also be
useful.

Please contact me privately to discuss this so we don't pollute this
list with what may be mostly information peripheral to NetBSD.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Brook