Subject: Re: Diskless systems
To: Mark Randelhoff <MarkR@cat.co.za>
From: Matthias Drochner <drochner@zel459.zel.kfa-juelich.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/1999 19:47:48
MarkR@cat.co.za said:
> <DIV><SPAN class=900415006-01091999><FONT color=#000000 face=Arial
> size=2>I am  trying to setup a diskless 1.4 i386 system using a 3COM
> 3C905C-TX-M,  </FONT></SPAN></DIV>

please save us from this html nonsense!

> but the response from the ROM is :
> "File transfer error, image file too large for low memory".

NetBSD must be loaded at 1M. The ROM simply doesn't know
how to load it.

Do you have any documentation what the boot ROM is attempting to do?
(Perhaps it loads the file like a normal boot sector and jumps
to it. Then one could be able to build an intermediate-stage boot
loader which pulls in the real kernel.)

There is also some boot ROM code at sys/i386/stand/netboot.
It works with a 3c905b, I guess it would need only minor
tweaking to recognize a 905c.

best regards
Matthias