Subject: 1.4.1 ignores kernel option to see old partition ID
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 09/01/1999 00:35:43
My stable PC has two disks (both with bootable systems on them, but one is the
primary and the other is backup), and has been happily running 1.3.2 since that
was released.

A couple days ago I cleared off the second disk and replaced the backup 1.3.2
installation with 1.4.1 so I could get the kinks worked out before replacing
my primary 1.3.2 installation. I zeroed the first 64 blocks of the second
disk before running sysinst so that I would get a new MBR along with the new
system.

The first disk still has win95 and 1.3.2 on it, but 1.4.1 won't recognize its
old partition ID even though I have built new kernels to be absolutely sure
that the kernel option for backwards compatible partition IDs is on.

Am I missing something simple here?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com