Subject: Re: JDK1.1.6 - problems under X?
To: Scott Ellis <scotte@warped.com>
From: Scott Bartram <scottb@iis.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/26/1999 16:17:26
Scott Ellis wrote:

> From: "Scott Bartram" <scottb@iis.com>
> > > Bruce Martin wrote:
> > >         - are there any plans to port later JDKs (1.2 in particular) to
> > > NetBSD/i386?
> >
> > My work on the JDK 1.2 port has been suspended, hopefully temporarily. I
> > have been informed by Sun that the new "Community Source" license
> prohibits
> > redistribution of *any* binaries even for non-commercial use. We could
> > redistribute the patches (Sun even volunteered to host them) but anyone
> > that wanted the JDK would have to build it themselves - not a very good
> > solution.
>
> I just wanted to chime in that I don't think that's all to terrible.  In
> fact, I've always wished that the 1.1.x source patches were available as
> well.

Yes, you're right. It's not *terrible* but it's not good either. It's
especially not good when compared to Linux which has no such restriction.

The 1.1.x patch question has come up before and the simple answer is that
the patch process is really ugly for 1.1.x and it hasn't been a high
priority since we can make the binaries available.

I will be making the 1.1.8 patches available with the binaries.

---
scott