Subject: RE: 3com 3c905B-tx strange behaviour
To: 'Frank van der Linden' <frank@wins.uva.nl>
From: Tony Hernandez <tony.hernandez@intellon.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/25/1999 11:47:40
Okay, now I'm having a similar problem at work. This machine was installed
by FTP to the web from ftp.netbsd.org so the bootdisk kernel worked good. I
have this machine up right now and I cant ping 127.0.0.1 everytime. It can
ping itself once out of every like 6 tries. I can ping the machine in
question from another 'workstation<192.168.0.118>' but I cant ping
<192.168.0.118> from <192.168.0.121> . I aslo have verified that the address
is not in use by another machine on the network. Very strange that I have a
NetBSD server running named and it has the same card in it and it work like
a charm --<hopefully it doesnt blow up>-- . here's # ifconfig ex0

ex0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
	media: ETHERNET autoselect (10baseT)
	status: active
	inet 192.168.0.121 netmask 0xfffff00 broadcast 192.168.0.255
---

heres the pertinent parts of # dmesg
ex0 at pci0 dev 13 function 0: 3Com 3c905B-TX 10/100 Ethernet
ex0: interupting at irq9
ex0 MAC address 00:50:04:e1:5e:a5
exphy0 at ex0 phy 24: 3Com Internal media controller
exphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto
---

this machine is on the 192.168.0.0 network along with about 70 other
machines mostly winshaft 95/NT and Solaris.

Ive tried to ftp to it and it just hangs. and after about 5 minutes I get
these on the console:
---
Aug 25 04:35:25 file ftpd[174]: getpeername (ftpd): Socket is not connected
---

Its weird ... I can log into it every now and then .. it seems to be rather
flaky. Is this a simple config option ?

 --
Tony Hernandez
*NIX <> MCP <> A+ <> Workstation Admin