Subject: RE: Question about upgrading a 386SX from 200MB disk to 6.4GB
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org' <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <grunza@dgms.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/09/1999 10:52:59
On Friday, August 06, 1999 6:02 AM, Manuel Bouyer
[SMTP:bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr] wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 05, 1999 at 04:44:53PM -0400, Steven Grunza wrote:
> > I just bought a new 6.4 GB IDE disk to upgrade my current 200+MB
> > drive.  I know the BIOS on the 386SX will not handle the full
size
> > of
> > the drive.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set this
> > system up?  I plan on removing the 200MB drive and adding a CD-RW
> > so
>
> That's easy: tell your bios you have a 512MB disk, with geometry
> 1024/16/63. Then install NetBSD, making sure your boot partition
> is below the first 512MB.
> I can't count the number of times I've done this :)
>
> --
> Manuel Bouyer, LIP6, Universite Paris VI.
>           Manuel.Bouyer@lip6.fr
> --

It worked great.  The only problem now is that I can't reasonably
build a kernel.  I've got 8 MB of RAM and a 386SX.  I let the system
run (without X running) for two days but the new kernel still wasn't
finished building.  I seem to recall this machine took a long time to
build a new kernel but that an overnight run (8 hours or so) was all
that was needed.  Does the new egcs compiler really require this much
extra time (48+ hours) to build a kernel or is my system not really
installed correctly?  Details are:

	- 386SX-25
	- 8MB RAM
	- 6.4 GB disk (56 MB swap)
	- DE220 ISA Ethernet on a 10Base2 LAN with all other machines
powered down
	- NetBSD port-i386 1.4

Steven G.
mailto:steven_grunza@ieee.org