Subject: Question about upgrading a 386SX from 200MB disk to 6.4GB
To: 'port-i386@netbsd.org' <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <grunza@dgms.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1999 16:44:53
I just bought a new 6.4 GB IDE disk to upgrade my current 200+MB
drive.  I know the BIOS on the 386SX will not handle the full size of
the drive.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how to set this
system up?  I plan on removing the 200MB drive and adding a CD-RW so
the 6.4GB drive will be the root disk.  If no one has any other
suggestions, I'll probably try starting with:

- use NetBSD installation tools (sysinst) to create a disk with
	partition (a) about 200 MB for root
	partition (b) about 56 MB for swap
	partition (g) the rest of the disk for /usr and /home

If that doesn't work, use M$-DOS tools to create a 200 MB DOS
partition at the front of the disk, leaving the rest unused.  Then
have NetBSD use the rest of the disk.

If anyone has some experience with this, I would appreciate comments
on the best way to do this.

PS
  The 386SX will eventually be replaced with either a 68EN360, a
860EN, or a ADSP2106x processor.  The 386SX will let me get the basic
idea of the project running before I commit to developing custom
hardware for it.

Steven Grunza				Hardware Engineer
mailto:grunza@ulticom.com		Ulticom
voice:	(856) 787 - 2759    		1020 Briggs Road
fax:	(856) 866 - 2033			Mt. Laurel, NJ 08054
cubicle:	K6
flames: /dev/null
Unix is user friendly, it's just particular about with whom it makes
friends.