Subject: Re: [Acpi] Re: Hello from ACPI4Linux...
To: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
From: Simon Richter <geier@phobos.fs.tum.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/05/1999 10:43:22
On 4 Aug 1999, Johan Danielsson wrote:

> > The interpreter is kernel code

> But does it have to be? Couldn't you do this with a device driver that
> talks to the bios, and do the rest in a userland daemon? You wouldn't
> get any powermanagement without the daemon, but it would be a lot
> easier to get something to work.

I'm afraid not, because you need the interpreter when you are enumerating
ACPI devices (which has to happen before the PCI devices, because some
companies have their devices appear in both ACPI and PCI PnP).

> > The client libary, the X extension, ...

> X-extension for what? Management of the display hardware? Do you need
> more than what the current interface (xset) allows for?

Power management in conjunction with wake-on-lan will have the problem
that as soon as you are running X11 with remote connections, the network
load from the keepalive packets will keep both server and client machine
awake. By extending the server and the toolkits we can manage that the
server may request to close the connection and wait for notification
(which will happen on a listening port, so wake-on-lan is sufficient).

   Simon

PGP public key available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/pgp/geier.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1
GEEK code block available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/gcb/geier.asc
 10:35am  up 4 days, 22:53,  1 user,  load average: 1.01, 1.02, 1.00