Subject: Re: Two (unrelated, I hope) problems with MS-DOS filesystems...
To: seebs@plethora.net, Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 08/04/1999 17:22:44
On Jul 29,  9:08am, seebs@plethora.net wrote:
}
} Can we *please* get 16 partitions on i386?  I'm already using a, e, f, g, and
} h for "real" partitions.  If 'b' is reserved for swap, 'c' is reserved for

     Although, b is traditionally used for swap, it is in no way
reserved.  You can put swap anywhere you want (including in files) and
you can use b for anything you want.

} the whole NetBSD partition, and 'd' is reserved for the entire disk, I can
} only have 5 partitions on a disk, which is *pathetic*.

     I'll agree with this.  Once upon a time you had to use multiple
disks simply due to their small size.  But, with modern disks you no
longer need to use multiple disks (unless you have really huge storage
requirements or want to do so for performance or reliability reasons).

}-- End of excerpt from seebs@plethora.net