Subject: Re: PCMCIA "ne0: device timeout"
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: None <seebs@plethora.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/31/1999 14:11:36
In message <199907311905.MAA28639@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>, Jason Thorpe writes:
>Ah, yah, that's right.. the CD-ROM has its own IDE controller channel (so
>you don't have to futz with master/slave stuff).

Uh-huh.

>The pcic on my 3500 doens't interrupt on IRQ 9 for some reason... hm.

Oh, weird.  My friend's works fine on IRQ 9.  :)  I have, however, never
had any luck with PCMCIA under any laptop running any Unix on a warm boot.

> > Hmm.  Speaking of quirks, this laptop emits apm information about every
> > minute to /dev/console if apm is on.  Any way to turn this "feature" off?

>Run apmd.

Duh!  Thanks, this is actually obvious now.  I've always turned it on, so I
never saw the messages on my machine... But mine's a ThinkPad with only 6
settings (100%, 80%, 60%, 40%, 20%, off) so apm is a lot less informative on
it.  (Estimated time left is always 0:00.)

By the way, another data point:  None of my CF cards probe correctly under
either NetBSD or BSD/OS on either my ThinkPad or my friend's DELL.  Under
NetBSD, the report is that the card never came ready (status 0x0c).  Under
BSD/OS, it's "pcic_setpow: adp 0 hwsock 0: power up timo".

If this gives anyone any clues, I'd love to see this work.

-s