Subject: Re: Locked into control characters with wscons...
To: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/26/1999 07:50:37
> > What does this mean - does every keypress deliver a control
> > character (if yes, which), or are outgoing characters interpreted
> > in a wrong way by the screen (ie therminal emulation) part?
>
>   Yes, every keypress delivers the control key corresponding to that key.
> They are interpreted as control characters by the shell (tcsh), except
> that most show up as ^A, etc on the screen which they usually do not.
> Useing the control key in addition to a key has the same effect as just
> pressing that key.  I think this means it is probably not a character set
> problem, though I could easily be mistaken.

This is a problem i've seen sporadically (off and on) on a wide
variety of systems (with almost no code in common in their keyboard
drivers); losing a key-up event from a modifier key seems to be a
common sort of error..

Sometimes pressing and then releasing both control keys will fix the
problem..

					- Bill