Subject: Re: Fw: Copying a file from one box to another
To: Amir Nazary <anazary@imagepower.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/1999 14:04:51
On Sun, 18 Jul 1999, Amir Nazary wrote:

> The problem is not NT (I never thought I would hear myself say that).  The
> problem is that I have a cron job that polls a directory periodically for
> the existence of files.  Unfortunately, I don't know if the file is
> completed when the cron job sees it.  I need to test to see that the file
> isn't still being written to when the poller sees it and trys to move it
> elsewhere.

	The problem _is_ NT, or to be more exact, the problem is that
	the best solution is for the client to notify the server when
	the file transfer is complete, and that may be non trivial
	using your NT client.

	Other options include:
	    - Have the NT client email the file to an account on the
	      unix box, then have a .forward that processes it.
	    - (As someone mentioned) Only pick up on files that have
	      not been modified for a certain time. This is probably
	      the easiest to implement
	    - The cron job can check if the file is a valid tiff (or
	      whatever) file using some tiff tool. You still need to
	      pick up on files that have not been modified for some
	      long time (to handle aborted copies).

		David/absolute

                  -=-  Resentment is a renewable resource  -=-