Subject: Re: driver for Lucent WaveLan/IEEE 802.11 committed
To: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/18/1999 09:53:24
Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 1999 at 12:48:04PM -0700, Jeff Rizzo wrote:
> > Woo hoo!  I will give this a try this weekend against a 'real' base
> > station from a Thinkpad, and if I can dig up my ISA PCMCIA card that came
> > with my Alphastation 200, I'll give it a shot there, too.
> >
> > >From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!!
> >
> > :)
> >
> > +j
>
> Well, here's my results so far... I can get it to "work" on my ThinkPad 600,
> by using wiconfig to set the card in BSS mode (as opposed to ad-hoc), but
> it relatively quickly locks the machine up solid... can't even drop into
> DDB.  If you've got any suggestions as to how to troubleshoot this,
> I'm more than happy to help...
>
> Note that the card locks the machine up regardless of whether I switch
> it out of ad-hoc mode or not;  but unless I take it out, it doesn't
> see the base station.
>
> Still, it's quite promising!

We had problems with my laptop not having enough IO space available.
The driver requires ~64 bytes of IO space IIRC.  Up to trying this
driver, my laptop was using a range of IO for the pcmcia cards that was
partially conflicting with some audio devices (ess maestro).  The IO
never got mapped/allocated becuase we don't have a driver for this audio
device.  It hadn't been a problem becuase all the pcmcia cards I was
using were not adding up enough IO alloction to hit the conflicting
region.  When we tried the wi it conflicted and the machine would hang.

To fix this we booted lose98 and verified this was indeed the case, and
located a larger unused region of unused io space.  To test we did a
boot -d and in ddb did:

        w pcic_isa_alloc_iobase 600
        w pcic_isa_alloc_iosize ff

That fixed the problem and so I added:

        options PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOBASE=0x600
        options PCIC_ISA_ALLOC_IOSIZE=0xff

To my kernel config.

You may want to look into this, of course the io region will probably be
different on your laptop.

Chris.