Subject: Re: old/slow PC on 100Mb/sec network?
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1999 11:26:28
On Tue, Jul 13, 1999 at 04:56:01AM -0400, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> I'm curious about a performance issue I'm seeing on my home network.
>
> Could someone out there who has both an old, slow PC with a 100baseTX
> card (for my purpose, anything slower than a P150 would count as "old,slow")
> and a faster machine which can source packets at at least 60Mb/sec.
>
> If you have such a setup, can you ftp from the slow box to the fast box
> and fetch a large file, say 25MB or more?  I'm curious to know what throughput
> you get, and whether you're on a hub, crossover cable, or switch, also
> what ethernet card and driver you're using.

ftp2.fr.netbsd.org is a p100, with a dec 21140A ethernet adapter.
I can ftp from it at about 5MB/s, and I get about the same speed from NFS
(for a 13 G file). I get 7.5MB/s from the local disk.
The network is like this:
ftp2.fr.netbsd.org -- 100Mb hub -- Router -- 100Mb switch -- client.

From another, faster server on the same hub as ftp2.fr (also NetBSD, also
dec 21140A) I get performances close to 10MB/s, so the CPU is really the
bottleneck here.