Subject: old/slow PC on 100Mb/sec network?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/13/1999 04:56:01
I'm curious about a performance issue I'm seeing on my home network.

Could someone out there who has both an old, slow PC with a 100baseTX
card (for my purpose, anything slower than a P150 would count as "old,slow")
and a faster machine which can source packets at at least 60Mb/sec.

If you have such a setup, can you ftp from the slow box to the fast box
and fetch a large file, say 25MB or more?  I'm curious to know what throughput
you get, and whether you're on a hub, crossover cable, or switch, also
what ethernet card and driver you're using.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"