Subject: Re: FW: NE2000 driver
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1999 08:55:52
On Jul 2,  9:57pm, David Maxwell wrote:
}
} > } configuration picked up by my network card. Just finished looking through a
} > } manual for an Intel hub but it didn't explicitly say one way or the other.
} >
} >      Because there is no need.  Hubs are half-duplex devices by
} > definition.
} >
} > } types of hub should be available but I haven't encountered a half-duplex
} >
} >      No.  There is a world of difference between a hub and a switch.
} > For starters, a hub is a passive device and a switch is an active
} > device.
}
} I also think of it this way:
}
} Hubs are layer 1 devices. They repeat or distibute electrical signals.
} Switches are layer 2 devices. The repeat or distribute (ethernet) frames.

     Correct.

} Although not a hard and fast rule, devices with a management port,
} or which can be given an IP address, and do SNMP, are almost
} always switches. Hubs tend to be about $10/port, switches are
} noticably more.

     There are managed hubs.  But, they tend to cost as much as low end
switches (often unmanaged), so why bother?  If you're going to spend
that kind of money, you might as well spend it on real equipment, not
toys.

}-- End of excerpt from David Maxwell