Subject: Re: NOTICE: i386 port switched to ELF binary format
To: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 07/06/1999 01:25:17
On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 03:45:58PM -0700, Paul Goyette wrote:
> Every time the ``make build'' attempts to create a new image, I get an
> error message like
>
> 	/usr/bin/ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start;
> 		defaulting to <some-hex-number>

That's not a fatal error message. It seems to happen when -nostdlib
is specified, used in some compiles in the tree. The created binaries
will run fine, since the entry point default to the start of the
text segment (or "first executable segment"), which is correct in
our case.

I'm not quite sure what causes the warning; I suspect that _start
just needs to be added as alias to __start in crt0.c

- Frank