Subject: Re: ccd vs. raidframe performance [was Re: ccd/SCSI error]
To: Erik Rungi <blackbox@openface.ca>
From: Greg Oster <oster@cs.usask.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/29/1999 07:26:40
Erik Rungi writes:
> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:

> t I
> > >
> > > If you can't afford data corruption, why are you running RAID0?  With
> > > three drives you could run RAID5 and still be running after a single
> > > drive failure.
> >
> > And have performance that was so bad, you might as well have used floppies.
> >
> > I've been extremely disappointed in the performance of RAIDframe, no matter
> > how I configure it.  Even a stripe/mirror setup yields about 1/4 the
> > performance of one of the underlying drives.
>
> Please tell me this "floppy drive speed" comment is an exagerration.

It certainly is from my perspective.  (I've asked Thor to send me whatever
configuration info he can, as there has to be something weird going on..)

> If degraded mode performance is really that bad,

I don't think he's even talking about degraded mode :-(

> there's probably not much point
> in me pursuing a raid5 solution.

If you've got the disks (which you do), it's easy enough to setup and see what
kind of performance you achieve.  If it's not performing up to expectations,
then we need to figure out why and fix the problem...

Later...

Greg Oster