Subject: Re: ncr woes on 1.4
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@zoulas.com>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/27/1999 12:52:58
Christos Zoulas wrote:

> In article <199906270200.MAA29764@balrog.supp.cpr.itg.telecom.com.au>,
> Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org> wrote:
> >Hi folks,
> >
> >I tried to boot a generic 1.4 kernel on my noname AMD 586/160 with an
> >ASUS NCR SCSI controller that is currently running 1.3.3 quite happily.
> >It has real problems configuring the controller and then of course
> >doesn't find any disks.  Here's the dmesg output for old and new:
> >
> >	---- common to 1.3.3 and 1.4 ----
> >	ncr0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0: ncr 53c810a fast10 scsi
> >	ncr0: interrupting at irq 9
> >	ncr0: minsync=25, maxsync=206, maxoffs=8, 16 dwords burst, normal dma fifo
> >	ncr0: single-ended, open drain IRQ driver
> >	---- on 1.3.3 ----
> >	ncr0: restart (scsi reset).
> >	---- on 1.4 ----
> >	CACHE TEST FAILURE: host wrote 1, ncr read 3827772
> >	CACHE TEST FAILURE: ncr wrote 2, host read 0
> >	CACHE INCORRECTLY CONFIGURED
> >	---- END ----
> >
> >Any ideas from anyone?  I can find nothing in the archives about this...
>
> Disable the cache in the kernel. I am not sure if there is an option to do
> that, but there might be in the bios.

I take it you're talking about the CPU cache?  I can only find
references to Cyrix cache stuff in the kernel, so by the BIOS seems the
only way to do it.  I guess I could expect some performance impact by
doing this, but I really don't know how big the cache is.  Maybe it is
time to updrade to a Pentium-type thingy...

I wasn't planning on rebooting that machine any time soon (it's my main
home box), but I'll try this (assuming that's what you mean) when I get
a chance.

Simon.