Subject: Re: ncr woes on 1.4
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofy.goof.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1999 23:33:01
On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 12:00:12PM +1000, Simon Burge wrote:

> I tried to boot a generic 1.4 kernel on my noname AMD 586/160 with an
> ASUS NCR SCSI controller that is currently running 1.3.3 quite happily.
> It has real problems configuring the controller and then of course
> doesn't find any disks.  Here's the dmesg output for old and new:

Hmm...  is that machine _really_ a 160Mhz machine?  Or just an overclocked
133?  My guess is that if the PCI bus is running at the out-of-spec speed
of 40Mhz (160/4) that the SCSI controller doesn't like it, and that the
timings for the driver changed in 1.4 just enough to tick it off.

----
  Aaron J. Grier  | "Not your ordinary poofy goof." | agrier@poofy.goof.com
        "I hear that if you win, you get a free probe by aliens."
		   --  Bill Coldwell, regarding the SETI@home project