Subject: Re: RealVideo player
To: None <lainestump@earthlink.net>
From: Ben Wong <ben@nospam.cowlove.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1999 21:37:01

    Laine> 1) This installed okay, but can't seem to play any content.
    Laine> It keeps giving messages about "compressed files not
    Laine> supported" etc, even though I'm not chossing any G2
    Laine> content. Does anybody have a Real player installed that
    Laine> actually works?

There is an alpha version of G2 for linux available. I think it was
yesterday that Slashdot had a link to Weird Al's latest video (in G2
format). Take a look in the comments section for the link to where you
can download the G2 player (it doesn't seem to be reachable from any
links on Real's homepage). It worked fine on the Debian box where I
work so I assume it would work for NetBSD.

    Laine> 2) I can't seem to get the NetScape plugin installed (I'm
    Laine> using the Linux netscape 4.61 installed from the pkg
    Laine> collection). I've followed the directions, that came with
    Laine> the player, but netscape refuses to recognize that the
    Laine> plugin is present (even though I'm fairly certain that it
    Laine> loaded its shared lib). Anybody gotten this to work?

I never could get the plugin to work either so I just changed my
application preferences so that it would run "rvplayer %s" on any .rm,
.ram files. That works well enough for me.

-Ben Wong
Spam Me Not
WA Resident