Subject: RealVideo player
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@earthlink.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/26/1999 15:56:23
I'm finally setting up a machine with 1.4 on it, and want to install the
RealVideo player. the latest version available from Real is 5.0 (I'm using
the Linux-ELF version). I have 2 questions:

1) This installed okay, but can't seem to play any content. It keeps giving
messages about "compressed files not supported" etc, even though I'm not
chossing any G2 content. Does anybody have a Real player installed that
actually works?

2) I can't seem to get the NetScape plugin installed (I'm using the Linux
netscape 4.61 installed from the pkg collection). I've followed the
directions, that came with the player, but netscape refuses to recognize
that the plugin is present (even though I'm fairly certain that it loaded
its shared lib). Anybody gotten this to work?

Does anyone know if Real Networks plans to release a G2 player for Linux?
Or have they decided to drop support for everything but Mac and Windows?