Subject: Re: NetBSD on 5MB ram
To: None <gussie@stockly.com>
From: None <Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/25/1999 00:22:53
> I've installed NetBSD on a computer with 5MB of ram and it does
> fine until it gets to 'updating motd...'.  Then it just sits
> there accessing the hard drive for hours.  I went to bed and
> let it do that for 8 hours.  When I woke up, it was still doing
> it.

Which kernel did you install?  The normal "GENERIC" kernel?  If
your machine lacks all of PCI, PCMCIA, EISA and SCSI, you can and
should probably use the "GENERIC_TINY" kernel.  I suspect that
your OS is paging itself to death...

I know, installation of the GENERIC_TINY kernel has to be done
manually (though it is at least in kerntiny.tgz in the
distribution), and you probably also need to rename it after
extraction.

- H=E5vard