Subject: Re: gzip problem on 1.3.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/1999 21:21:41
> Oops!  I accidently sent a port-i386 question to port-sparc.  Let's
> try this on the right mailing list...

:-)  I actually suspect this is completely MI.

> I'm having trouble running gzip on files exceeding 2 gigs.  The files
> live on a NFS mount;

I'm sure this is important.  NetBSD has done correct local handling of
files >2G (and even >4G) for ages and ages (well, for a long time at
least - I think 1.3.2 does it right; check to see what type off_t is if
you want to make sure).  But over NFS, you're restricted by the wire
protocol.  NFSv2 limits practically everything to 32 bits (less in some
cases IIRC).  I think NFSv3 fixed some of these limits, but I haven't
looked at it in detail.

> I went ahead and debugged gzip to see what was going on.  It appears
> on NetBSD/i386 1.3.2 if a file exceeds 2 gigs, open(2) works but
> read(2) always returns zero.

I know from personal experience this is not a problem on NetBSD/alpha
1.4 with local disk; I've worked with files of approximately 8G.  I
don't think I've ever done anything significant with NetBSD and NFS,
though.

Is the NFS mount a v2 or v3 mount?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca