Subject: Re: gzip problem on 1.3.2
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Eric McWhorter <emcwhorter@xsis.xerox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/24/1999 16:16:20
Oops!  I accidently sent a port-i386 question to port-sparc.  Let's
try this on the right mailing list...

I'm having trouble running gzip on files exceeding 2 gigs.  The files
live on a NFS mount; I can't test on local disk due to lack of
resources.

I went ahead and debugged gzip to see what was going on.  It appears
on NetBSD/i386 1.3.2 if a file exceeds 2 gigs, open(2) works but
read(2) always returns zero.  gzip(1) was writting only the compressed
file's header and no data.

Will I be able to read(2) files exceeding 2 gigs via NFS on a more
recent version of NetBSD, or is that limitation still present?  This
computer is a production box and cannot be upgradded easily, so I'd
rather not pursue upgrading unless it's known whether or not this
works in newer versions of NetBSD/i386.

Thanks!

--
Eric McWhorter