Subject: Re: wine: will not run binaries
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/20/1999 22:05:38
On Sun, 20 Jun 1999, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

: > I thought wine only ran Windows binaries? I haven't used it in over a
: > year though, so I could be wrong... doscmd will run MSDOS binaries
: > though.
:
: It will according to the features list taken from their website:
:
: Support for loading DOS, Windows 3.x and Win32 binaries
                      ^^^
This is not completely true.  It will run some DPMI-based DOS binaries, but
cannot run most real-mode DOS binaries on any platform on which I have used
Wine, including Lunix.

Use doscmd; your head will hurt less.  Of course, you still can't possibly
expect fdisk (your example app) to work; no DOS emulator has that kind of
low level system access.  ;)

--
-- Todd Vierling (tv@pobox.com)