Subject: Re: Internal Compiler error gcc or cc gets signal 11 .
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/19/1999 12:23:40
> Has anyone run accross this ? It seems like all my builds of anything
> crash atleast 15 times ..

You're not alone.

I've had very similar trouble on a 486 machine and to a lesser extent
on a SS1+ (perhaps I should cross-post this to port-sparc).

Because I did my upgrades via build-from-source, I'm not considering
anything definitely broken until I've done at least two full
build-and-install cycles, including kernel.  But the symptoms are very
similar - almost always a coredump from either make or cc1;
occasionally I get an "internal compiler error".  Sometimes waiting
and/or flushing caches (via something like "find / -type f -print >
/dev/null" and/or "find / -type f -print | xargs cat > /dev/null")
helps.  Sometimes nothing helps.  Because it happens across two
different machines, different architectures even, I'm reluctant to
suspect hardware.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca