Subject: Re: BEST UPS
To: None <kent@goathill.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/18/1999 23:59:20
On Fri, Jun 18, 1999 at 09:55:08PM +0000, Kent Polk wrote:
> Is there software to hook to a BEST 720 UPS? I searched all over
> and haven't located anything. It appears that a std serial cable
> is all that's needed for the link. Is that correct?

This page contains best's software.

http://www.bestpower.com/software/unix.html

They have BSDI and Linux versions, the BSDI should run
fine as long as you have

options         COMPAT_NOMID    # compatibility with 386BSD, BSDI, NetBSD 0.8,

in your kernel config.

Sorry, no BESTs here, so I can't test this.
(but the bsdi binaries run fine on my machine)

newbox% ./checkups

CheckUPSII BASIC V2.0s Copyright 1985-97 by Best Power,All Rights Reserved
Usage: checkups [-a#] [-c#] [-s#] [-m#] [-l] [-o] [-k] device:
 a# - time to wait on startup before activation. Default 5 sec.
 c# - time to allow before beginning a shutdown. Default 2 min.
 s# - time between UPS checks. Default 30 sec.
 m# - maximum number of records to save in ups_log.txt file. Default 100.
 l  - DO NOT Shutdown on Low Battery Alarm condition. Default Shutdown.
 o  - Send the UPS a shutoff signal following an O/S shutdown. Default NO.
 k  - whether or not to run the UPSDOWN script in the Background. Default NO.
 device - port device the UPS is connected to. Must be disabled for logins.

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,