Subject: LINUX compatibility (related to Quake2 under NetBSD)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 06/17/1999 10:13:34
I've been told that at least the ``soft'', and ``softx'' Quake2 renderers
should work under NetBSD, but I haven't had any success so far.  As far as
I know, I have my LINUX compatibility set up according to what hints there
are, but what I know seems to be wrong.  I.e., I seem NOT to have LINUX
compatibility set up correctly.

The LINUX ldd complains:

/emul/linux/usr/bin/ldd: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: not found
        not a dynamic executable

...but that file IS there:

% lk -l lib/ld-linux.so.2
-rwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  345041 Sep 22  1998 lib/ld-linux.so.2*
%

Additionally, I get a lot of messages logged to the console, all the same:

 [...]
linux_old_to_native_sigaction: sa_restorer ignored
linux_old_to_natilinux_old_to_native_sigaction: sa_restorer ignored
linux_old_to_native_sigaction: sa_restorer ignored
linux_old_to_native_sigaction: sa_restorer ignored
linux_old_to_native_sigaction: sa_restorer ignored
 [...]

(Note that some log so fast that they apparently overlap...)

Other than that I presumably have a bothed LINUX compatibility, I don't
know what to make of this.

What I did to set up LINUX-compatibility:

I enabled COMPAT_LINUX and EXEC_AOUT32 and built a new kernel.

I installed the two LINUX-compat packages in pkgsrc, linux_SuSE and
linux_lib.  Versions 5.3 and 2.4, respectively.  (I also added the symlink
from /emul -=> /usr/pkg/emul.)

I read compat_linux(8), added /lib and /usr/lib to
/emul/linux/etc/ld.so.conf, and ran /emul/linux/sbin/ldconfig.  (I also
have tried without /usr/lib and /lib in there.  And without them, I've
tried giving real absolute pathnames for the library directories.  I've
even tried sym-linking /emul/linux/lib to /lib.)

(One of the reasons that I've been messing about with /lib and /usr/lib
under LINUX-compat is because Quake2 complains that /lib and /usr/lib are
not ELF files (well, of COURSE; they are diretories---but Quake2 doesn't
think that's a legitimate excuse).)

So...any ideas on what I did wrong, or didn't do?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu